May 12, 2013

I admit it. . .

I hate Mother's Day.  If I could abolish it, I would - because frankly, it seems to me like it's some sort of cruel joke.  Every single Mother's Day, I get to do all of my typical "chores".  There's no celebration, there's no day off, there's never been a breakfast in bed or even a special trip out for breakfast.  Nope.  I get up and make breakfast for others, clean up, do laundry, get groceries (and carry them all in and put them away without help), pick up the house, prepare food for the upcoming week, do some more laundry, make dinner, clean up again, etc.  

I'm going to say it.  

It sucks.  It really truly sucks. 

Should I be thankful that I have this blessed opportunity to be a mom?  Sure, and in general I am.  But on one stinkin' day of the year, it sure would be nice if my family were thankful for what I do day in and day out - and actually showed it.  

The only good thing about it used to be talking to my own mom on the telephone, and this is the third year now I haven't been able to do that.  

So there you have it.  All this day is to me now is a very painful reminder that my mother is no longer here and a reminder of how many unappreciated tasks I still have to attend to.  Which I'm going to go do right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment