February 1, 2013

Miracle In the Andes

by Nando Parrado is the book I'm reading right now.  Oh my goodness - it is amazing.  It's the story of the Uruguayan rugby team whose plane crashed in the Andes mountains in 1972.  You've likely seen (or at least heard of) the movie "Alive"??  I am at the point where Nando and Roberto have ventured out on the final quest that will lead to their rescue, and it's nearly impossible to put the book down.

   

I love reading books for "armchair adventurers" about real adventurers, and though not one iota of their experience was by choice, they did indeed become adventurers.  What they were forced to experience and endure is heart-wrenching, but how they handled the situation is beyond inspirational.  The human spirit truly is spectacular.  


My husband teases me about reading all of these books, but I really do believe they makes me a better person.  The stories help me to not take life - or comfort - for granted, and thinking about the strength and endurance all of these various folks were able to find within themselves when they were facing unimaginable circumstances helps me to draw out more of my own strength and endurance.  And that HAS to be a good thing.

5 comments:

  1. I think I would love this book, however I had a dream(nightmare?) last night that our plane crashed but we lived! I agree, I truly believe reading educates us that wouldn't be possible any other way!! I think I should wait to read this one until AFTER our trip to Florida, I might make John drive! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Wait until after your plane trip! I hope you have fun in Florida. Last time we went was a couple of years ago. We went to Orlando right before Christmas and did NOT do Disney. It was the first time we did Universal and we all LOVED it. We stayed on-site, and it was one of the easiest vacations ever. Oh, I hope you write about the trip on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We took the boys on their first plane ride two years ago to Disney and had a great time. But we all went on the Tower of Terror and now my older son won't go in elevators anymore (he hated them anyway) and he was a nervous wreck on the plane ride home. While we were there we spent a day at Discovery Cove swimming with the dolphins and snorkeling, it was the best day ever, so relaxing. I am so new to this blogging, I am going to try to set up an account, we'll see how that goes. Anyway, thanks for the book suggestion, I love to read, I wish I could get into a book club around my home, but all my friends that like to read live far away. Hope you had a good day! Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me - you will LOVE this book. I didn't want it to end! I hope you get an account set up - if you do, make sure you let me know what it is!! :)

      Delete
  4. LOL I certainly will! We are going to my visit my parents, no Disney for us either! I have a "rule" no Disney until you can walk around the whole park without a stroller and without being held!! A few more years! ;) We went to Disney when I was 5 months pregnant with Madi, the boys were 7 1/2 and they went on everything there. I, on the other hand drank probably $100 in bottle water and ate Edy's frozen fruit bars and went on It's a small world, lol. Did Disney for 4 days. Not the best plan but then went to my parents for the last 3 days of the trip and came home refreshed! :)

    ReplyDelete